Would You Eat a Worm?

February 10, 2015

I held the dried worm in between my fingers, turning it back and forth.

“So we just eat this?” I said to one of my friends.

“I guess so.” She said.

It didn’t exactly look like a worm, but the sheer fact that it was a worm, and I was about to eat it, made me shiver.

I was at Lesedi Cultural Village in South Africa, on my International Student Volunteer trip in 2013. Tour guides take groups on tours through five mock villages and explain how the people used to live and survive there. It was an amazing cultural experience, and truly remarkable that we were able to see a representation of Ndebele Village.

lesedi

We were in the last village, and were given a huge bowl of dried worms to eat. I watched my friend’s face as she slowly ate the worm. It went from indifferent to completely wrinkled and scrunched up. She stuck her tongue out and shook her head, nope.

worm2

I looked at the worm again, and tried not to think about how it used to crawl around in the dirt. I hate bugs, and eating one was never on my list. But I had to do it, simply because I was there.

The worm seemed to grill me as I put it in my mouth and slowly bit down. It tasted like grass. Like I had taken a scoop of dirt and grass and shoved it into my mouth. It was dry and crunchy, and I tried to imagine that I was eating a leaf. At least it was better than pig ears

worm1

6 comments

1. Comment by Janet Sunderland

Janet Sunderland February 10, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Well good for you for at least trying it! When I lived in Mexico, I saw a woman in the village market with an iron pot filled with crawling bugs, sort of like squash bugs. “Que es?” I asked her. “Jumiles,” she said. And how do your eat them? You roll them up in a tortilla first. I didn’t make out whether you cooked them first. My friend and I walked away thinking of how it might be to eat a rolled up tortilla with bugs crawling out. We didn’t.

• Comment by monvar117@gmail.com

monvar117@gmail.com February 10, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Oh my! I would not have been able to do that. At least the worm I ate was long dead. I don’t think you missed out on anything, haha!

2. Comment by seasiangirl

seasiangirl February 12, 2015 at 3:49 am

I have tried deep fried bugs here in Thailand. I was attracted to the wonderful garlic smell and thought I would try. They were ok but then I remembered what was in my mouth! I won’t be trying again.

• Comment by monvar117@gmail.com

monvar117@gmail.com February 12, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Garlic will make anything smell delicious, haha! It’s good that you tried it at least once!

3. Comment by Jessica Griffin

Jessica Griffin March 25, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I love your stories!!! Wow, you have seen a lot at such a young age. I’m jealous! My daughter and I are going to Bangkok in 3 weeks and will probably try some bugs. Just thinking about it makes me cringe, but when in Rome! We want to experience everything we possibly can even if that means being out of our comfort zone. I think that’s the whole point!! 😉

• Comment by Globe Trottica

Globe Trottica March 25, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Thank you so much, Jessica! 😀 I’m so thankful everyday for the opportunities I’ve had :] That’s amazing, wow!! I’m heading there in the fall, you’re going to have to let me know all the ins and outs and how it is! Get ready to eat some interesting foods, haha! Exactly, you’ve definitely nailed it- you’re going to do things you probably never thought you would ever do (or eat!!).

Comments are closed.